Thursday, June 10, 2004

2-bit philosopher

I'm thinking about changing the name of this blog to 2bitPhil, or something similar, because I think I'm sort of a 2-bit philosopher.

First I want to make sure of what 2-bit means. Dictionary.com has two meanings for the term two-bit, of which I had the first in mind, which is:
Informal. Costing or worth 25 cents: a two-bit cigar.


My reason for thinking of this title is the fact that it doesn't require much to get me to to be philosophical about anything. I will often take and examine in depth and from many different sides, any subject that happens to fall within my view.

Sometimes my conclusions are surprising, other times it turns out that I have simply passed a lot of time and effort (in thought) for nothing. Whether this sets me apart from others or not, I don't really know, but I'm sure that it is this charasteristic that has led me to have some ideas and attitudes which set me apart from the main stream of thinking of people around me. (It also makes me thing that a lot of people hardly ever think at all.)

However, I don't like the second meaning:
Slang. Worth very little; petty or insignificant: a two-bit thief.


I'm sure that a lot of people would be quick to apply the second to anything I might say, but that's their opinion and they're entitled to it, regardless of whether or not they're right.

What I am starting to form is the inclination to use blogging as a means of expressing many of my thoughts which I otherwise simply have allowed to pass through my mind and then evaporate into the air without ever having expressed them or acted upon them.

This, of course, could get me into a lot of trouble because I'm sure many of the thoughts I have had are libelous or at least offensive to others. As I noted in my first blog entry, I often have put my foot in my mouth. So the jury is still out on this, I'm going to have to think about this whole blog idea a bit more ....

No comments: